Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tasty Alaska Recipe

Rhubarb Cake

1/2 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 c. milk
1 1/2 c. rhubarb, chopped 1/2 in. slices
1 t. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
3/4 t. salt

Cream shortening and brown sugar. Add egg and milk to mix. Stir in rhubarb and vanilla, then add flour, soda and salt (after sifting them together), into the mix.
9x9 pan, 350 degrees, 35-40 min.

topping:(PS I like this cake ALONE, I've never made the topping)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. white sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 c. chopped nuts
1 T. butter

combine in a bowl and sprinkle on hot, baked cake.
It is a tasty recipe that my family loves. We have two rhubarb plants on the side of the house and they have had a beating this summer. Hopefully the sun will come out some more for some more growth. (Only 2 days over 70 this summer, ladies!! Forget global warming, I like the words climate change, it ain't warm up here.) Anyway...we have recently been trying ground flax to replace eggs in various recipes like waffles, rolls, cakes and this one works well. Today I made it using a mix of white and whole wheat flour (our Country Living Mill just arrived and Rob set it up on our counter in the garage!! We are millers!!)

5 comments:

Sunshine said...

wow on the rhubarb cake!
wow on the temperature in Alaska!
wow on the rhubarb plants outside your house!
wow on making bread!
And wow on the flax seed substitute!
I'm attempting the bread making for the very first time today with my grain mill which arrived last week!!!!
So far away and yet so close.
It hasn't been below 70 here in a couple of weeks(even at night) and the humidity is brutal!
Our garden is thriving though. Our corn is FANTASTIC at least what the squirrels didn't steal.

boylingivylilac said...

I love you! It's true. So far but, so close.
What a beautiful coincidence with the mills!!
Let me know how your bread making goes.
I wish that I could see your corn. Our lettuce, snap peas, strawberries and potatoes are growing despite the lack of sun.
I picked the spinach like it was lettuce and it got nervous and went to seed!! It was doing so well!
Our sunflowers are about 14 inches high, we keep hoping they'll make it before the frost...

sunflower said...

Hmmmm, sounds like I need a grain mill. I read a notice in relief society yesterday that announced a program in which Lehi Roller Mills will store and grind wheat for a fee. The notice said at the bottom "that's not even too far to ride on a bicycle in a pinch." Of course my thought was that it may be time for me to get my own grinder!
The recette sounds super yummy. I'm going to give it a whirl.
I envy all the cooler weather. I'd even take the humidity I think. It's cooled down here the past couple of days with overcast skies. Oddly, in the middle of summer, it makes me ache for England.

Wysteria said...

Wow, this is awesome. I hope I can kindly say that the very last thing in the world I have ever wanted to do is grind wheat. Even from my very first lesson in RS about it, I just thought, "nope, never gonna do that."

However, I do love growing things and baking things and while I suck at bread I have perfected the quiche and the cheesecake...they are things of beauty.

I get fresh goods from my parents house weekly and am SO excited to eat my yellow grape tomatoes tonight! I also go to the farmers market each Saturday. Then I come home and juice and make salads all week. The best juice ever (which, I don't know, seems like the effort of grinding wheat, it takes time to juice) is Apple, Carrot, Lime!!

Delicious!!

Or fresh pure grapefruit in the morning. Man oh man, are you salivating yet?

Even spinach and beets are good, just don't add garlic like I did...yuk.

Ah, and wheatgrass...oh the heavenly taste of juiced wheatgrass, I always feel like I just had the delight of mowing a lawn after I drink it (instead of paying this hot young man ten bucks to mow ours....what can I say, I don't want to buy a lawn mower!!)

Summer tastes so good.

boylingivylilac said...

mmmm....i'm salivating.

I think a main part of the wheat grinding, which is not hard and it feels good on my arms...is the ability to take something that is inexpensive and basic and turn it into something that you could pay money for but instead, you enriched it with your efforts. Self reliance ladies, self reliance. I am slave to no one! Except our mortgage and student loans....:)

love summer!